Sunday, March 6, 2011

A Deal With(out?) the Devil

My mother is a sugar addict, with a bevy of health problems, a poor diet, and other issues. A few years back she was hit by a car while riding her bike and broke her spine. Needless to say this changed her entire life and has been trying to cope since. I love my mom, and, as her son, have often thought about how I could help her. I don’t know anything about medicine, or psychology, or pain management, but the one issue I noticed recently was her diet. Sugar, the addictive, insidious bastard that it is, was present in just about everything that she ate. Combine that with her low protein vegetarian diet and you have a recipe for poor health in general. Combined with her other issues, I was desperate to try to convince her to change.

I knew it wouldn’t be easy, but in a moment of inspiration, I made a deal with her, that she eagerly, but timidly, accepted. You see I drink a lot of booze. I didn’t start drinking until I was 18, but just about every week since I have been getting drunk. My mom, probably correctly, worries that I imbibe too much and has asked me to scale it back several times. I know she has my best interests at heart, and I hers, so I made her a deal. Start and stick with a strict paleo diet for 30 days, and I will quit drinking for the rest of 2011.

Obviously she is going to have issues from her accident that diet alone won’t be able to fix. But I truly believe that having a healthy diet and breaking her sugar addiction will help her in general. I think a good diet will improve her mood, make her stronger, and give her more energy. These things will hopefully make dealing with her injury a little easier. She’s already a week in and has been doing an amazing job. She was at a baby shower the other day and turned down all sorts of sweets. She’s also started eating meat, which is another big step for her. I don’t think she’ll be cheating for the next three weeks, which means I’m starting to contemplate what my life will like post alcohol. It’s a little intimidating, but I’m willing to go without for the health and happiness of my mom. And secretly, I think abstaining will do me a world of good.

No comments: